Stewed Raddish With Beancurd Puffs

(picture taken from this delicious looking blog)


Back with Cooking The Cookbook 2, I made 大根と油揚げの煮物 (だいこんとゆあげのにもの - daikon to yuage no mono) which I think translate to raddish and beancurd puff stew. I stand corrected.

Although the book has called for the use of sliced pork belly, I had substituted it with chicken thighs. I thought that it would give the stew a meaty-er taste to it. What's up with the use of pork belly? It seems like that is one of the preferred cut of pork in this book. Not that I don't like pork belly, but sometimes the fatty parts could get a little too greasy.

As we head for another round of the Vietnamese Rice Rolls in bid to finish up the rice papers, I had to come up with an alternative for our little princess. Quick and easy to put together, it is a balanced meal by itself with a bowl of hot steaming rice.

**********************************
大根と油揚げの煮物
Stewed Raddish with Beancurd Puffs
**********************************
1/2 raddish, peeled and cut into bite size
200g sliced pork or meat of choice, cut into bite size
2 big or 4 med squares of beancurd puffs, cut into bite size
2 tsp ginger juice
400ml dashi stock
200mil sake
4 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
4 tbsp mirin
1 tsp sugar

1. In a medium pot, add raddish, sliced pork, beancurd puffs, dashi stock and sake. Cover and bring to boil. Remove any scum that surface. Lower the heat and simmer for 8 min.

2. Add mirin and sugar and continue to simmer for another 15 min.

3. Add soy sauce and ginger juice and simmer for a further 5 min.

Comments

  1. I made the potato salad with Kraft.

    Hellmann only comes in big bottle which will take me v long to finish, hence bought the small bottle Kraft instead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment