Cheese and Bacon Scones v.2

The last time I attempted this savoury bite was back in 2006. My photo was horrible and the narrative was … equally inadequate.

I’m confident, or more like assuring myself, that with 8 years of cooking and photo-taking experience under my belt, I ought to be able to show you something more interesting than that.

Back in 2006, I was still pretty much entrenched in the sweet-tooth camp whereas Hubby was, and still is, from the savoury camp. But somehow, for some unknown reasons, things began changing for me over the years. I am fussy about cakes, choosy with chocolates, ambivalent about tarts and other sweet desserts. On the whole, I had cut down on a lot of sugary stuff from my diet and when I do take them, they are definitely those worthy of the calories they come with.

Scones are just about my favourite thing in the whole. They are almost effortless to make, highly accommodating to all your whim and fancy and they bake real fast. Best of all, they can’t go too wrong with scones even if you have no kitchen skills.

These were so easy to throw together and I must admit that I did not even follow any particular recipe. I just go with the basic ratio and I was turning the dough ready for cutting.

20140729_210222

Just out of the oven.

20140729_210134

Hello, yummies!

20140729_210200

But since they turned out so well, I really should put it down here lest I forget it.

Cheese and Bacon Scones v.2

Whisk in a large bowl: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder.

Rub in: 6 tbsp cold, unsalted butter.

Add in: cooked bacon bits, chopped spring onions and shredded cheese.

In a measuring cup, mix: 1 egg and enough plain yogurt to make 1 cup when mixed with the egg.

Add the liquid mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well. Cut scones into desire shapes and brush the tops of the scones with milk.

Bake in preheated oven of 200 degC for 12 - 15 mins.

Comments